Thursday 9 June 2011

Hot Beetroot Hummus, in flamboyant pink?

 


As is doubtless apparent, I am all for quirky cuisine.  But I do baulk at the Blumenthalian tendency to make one food look like another – I am now envisaging (baulking) Heston’s Medieval Meat Fruits Bowl.  So, when Amelia (@TailoredTat), lover of all things gaudy, suggested Pink Hummus, I had to bite my tongue, put aside my suddenly-uber-conservative-kitchen-conventions…

Hot Beetroot Hummus

I am ashamed to say I used a tin of Chick Peas, and some ready-cooked vac-packed Beetroot.  (Whatever's to hand) Otherwise soak the Chick Peas overnight, cook until tender, reserving cooking water, and use Beetroot, raw or cooked as your prefer.

Blend Chick Peas, 1 Beetroot, finely chopped (if cooked) or grated (raw), 6 cloves of garlic, ½ tbsp Whole Cumin Seed, 1 tsp Ground Cumin, 1 tsp Chilli Powder, 1-2 tbsp water, 1 lg tbsp Tahini.  The mixture should be pretty solid still, the Lemon juice will smooth it out.

Once blended, add the juice of 2 lemons to the mixture, and salt to taste.  Tweak Lemon, Tahini, Salt, Cumin until you have the exact flavour desired.  With conventional Hummus I would then spread this paste-like mix on a plate and drown the lot in Olive Oil.  However, the Olive Oil dousing looked all-too incongruous against the pink, so I mixed in a good tablespoon of Olive Oil before plating.  Sprinkle with Chilli Powder and Cumin Seeds and garnish with a Chilli. 
 
It did of course look much like a Blackcurrant Blancmange, one invitee was sorely disappointed to discover ‘twas not indeed a hankered after Raspberry Mousse.  But the Beetroot was scrumptious in the Hummus, and like-it-or-not, in flamboyant pink, the dish was a vibrant addition to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts...